Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Johnny Mnemonic/ Cyber Punk

This was a surprisingly entertaining story. I would always see the Johnny Mnemonic film to check out at the library but it looked so bad that I always ignored it. Maybe not so much anymore. For some reason I always seem to have a thing about cyberpunk ever since The Matrix. I like how there's the relatively normal setting, a modern day or believable/plausible futuristic world which is immediately easily relatable.

The idea of storing information inside your head seems like a closer possibility as the years go on. Right now we have blutooth headsets that sit in your ear and allow you to talk to people. Sooner or later those headsets are going to have storage capabilities. I can imagine that within the next 20 years we'll have the option to implant ourselves with different technological capabilities. Imagine having a memory storage implant in your head, you'd never forget anything. Marriages could possibly be saved because husbands would no longer forget anniversaries or birthdays. Kids would never fail tests because they could always remember the answers. But thinking of that does that mean we're no longer human? Is using technology to our advantage mean we're no longer human, would we have lost touch with humanity?

The Yakuza was also an interesting enemy, I feel you don't see it often enough in books and films. They're just one of those things you don't see too often. They're usually just forgetting about and seen as only existing in Japan. The fighting was decent too, I didn't expect it to be so violent and realistic. Being part of the sci-fi genre I automatically start to think that lasers and phasers are going to be involved. Overall though I was satisfied with this story

No comments:

Post a Comment